Sunday, January 3, 2016

Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Last night I was skimming through old journals filled notes, logs, thoughts, random little doodles and jot downs to see if there were any gems that I should copy over into my currents journal of doo-dads.  On one page in a notebook from when I lived down under in oz was a list of websites and blogs.  One by one I visited them to see what kind of surprise would lay at the end of each http.  There was one blog in particular that really grabbed me.  The words on the screen connected with my heart, compelling me to share them with more eyes of the world staring deep into glowing screens ;)


Now without further uh do.  (Forgive me but I'm going to start with the passage that gripped me, then will include a link to read the story from the beginning..)

“Hello, sir. I was rude to you yesterday,” I said, “and I’m sorry.”
It felt strange and vulnerable to say this to a stranger, but I was sorry.
I was sorry because I imagine his job isn’t easy. And the sun was beating down on him too. And he didn’t get to run out when I did, to eat lunch, go home, and de-stress.
He was doing his job—and a good job at that—and I was sorry I treated him poorly.
“It’s okay,” he said. “I know how it is when you have an important appointment to attend to.”
“I was just having a really bad day,” I said, “and you were right. I should have instructed you which route to take.”
“It’s okay,” he said again. “We all have bad days.”
Where I stood just yesterday, feeling rude and guilty, I now stood feeling gentle and considerate. I doubt he knew it, but he gave me an amazing gift. He reminded me that my worst moment didn’t even have to define me.
I have the freedom to choose to do something differently. I could choose to take responsibility, admit my faults and accept the consequences, and do better today than yesterday.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve come to realize I’m a lot like that smartphone application “Waze—messy and far from perfect. I make mistakes. I’m not always very gentle or polite. Sometimes I let my feelings get the best of me. Sometimes I don’t deal with things very well.
But maybe these little messiness are big opportunities. Maybe the worst of humanity can give way to the best of us.
Maybe every moment of impoliteness is a good day waiting to happen. Okay, so that’s kind of corny, and maybe a little idealistic. And I realize there are certain scenarios when people are far harsher than I was, and far less understanding than the driver.
But I know next time I encounter someone who seems rude, I’ll remember how I felt that very day. I’ll keep in mind that I’m likely not seeing them at their best, but this, in any way, doesn’t define who they are.
Then I’ll look them in the eye and think to myself, “It’s okay. I understand how it is. We all have bad days.”
When we plant the seeds of what we really want in our lives, trust that in setting our intentions, love and patience out there; our dreams will eventually come true. What we put out and what we expect are EXACTLY what life will deliver to us. I want to share my favorite Zig Ziglar quote to inspire you as this month ends: “What you send out – comes back. What you sow – you reap. What you give – you get. What you see in others – exists in you. Remember, life is an echo. It always gets back to you.”

No comments :

Post a Comment