Saturday, March 5, 2011

Inspiration: 80's Film

A new inspiration.
I just watched St. Elmo's Fire, a 1985 feature starring Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore, and Andrew McCarthy for the first time last week.  Netflix directly to your television is pretty amazing.  Its a great companion when working.  I'm a total 80's flick girl.  Most modern-day MTV/reality TV is such a bore to me.  I see more artistic expression and authentic energy in older movies and television shows.

I absolutely loved Rob Lowe's style in St. Elmo's Fire.  He rocked cross shaped earring in one ear, that I fell in love with.  I took note.  Men, you should too.

Funny thing is, last night I attended a wrap-party at The Hudson for a new Lifetime feature, where I saw a gentleman in a fabulous get-up rocking a single tusk earring.  I hope to see more of this in the future!


Always Inspiring me.
ALEX in FLASHDANCE



I watched Flashdance for the first time when I was a Junior or Senior in high school.  In short, it changed my life.  Okay, not completely, but it has been an inspiration in more than one way.  Upon watching Flashdance I instantly admired Jennifer Beals' character, 'Alex.'  Of course, having danced for ten years myself, that was an instant common interest I shared with her character, but mostly I admired her independence and drive as a young woman.  I envied the life 'Alex' created for herself; her apartment, jobs, style, and dedication to a dream.  When I was seventeen, I thought- if this girl can do all this at eighteen, so can I.  And, well, that's exactly what I did, only with different ambitions, in a different city.    

My daily style is still influenced by the dancer.  Jennifer Beals wears a slashed neck graffiti print t-shirt, ripped sweater, Lycra keep-fitters, torn jeans, cropped vests and pushed-down leggings for dance or slouch dress. Out and about in chilly Pennsylvania she chooses a heavy topcoat, over sized jumpers, several scarves worn at once, wide man-styled jackets (all with plentiful layering), leggings, skinny trousers, thick-soled boots, a red military dress coat, even a green army jacket with insignia patches.


MADONNA


I fell in love with Madonna and her radical style when I saw her music video for "Vogue" for the first time on 01.01.91.  Yes, I even know it down to the date.  I was just four, when I was watching the NBC New Years Countdown on TV with my parents.  In Times Squares they were projecting the top songs/music videos of 1990 onto a large screen, in which aired on TV.  Little did my parents know how much taping this hour long program would affect my style and taste in music.  Not only was I introduced to Madonna, but MC Hammer, Paula Abdul, Vanilla Ice, and Billy Idol.  I ended up loving them all, watching this VHS tape well until I was in high school.  What can I say, I love what I love.

Who inspired / inspires your style?

xxNatasha

No comments :

Post a Comment