Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Ne-spiration of Stephen Sprouse

NEON. NEON. NEON. More of an artist than just a fashion designer, Stephen Sprouse was credited with pioneering the 1980s mix of "uptown sophistication in clothing with a downtown punk and pop sensibility."  I loved his style before I even knew who he was, Sprouse designed clothes for Blondie's Debbie Harry (his one-time downstairs neighbor in the Bowery section of NYC) in the late 70s/early 80s, prior to becoming a commercial designer. He also worked with Duran Duran in the late 80s, designing the clothes for their 1989 tour for the album Big Thing, as well as the cover for their greatest hits album Decade: Greatest Hits. Additionally, he styled and dressed Billy Idol in the early 90s for Idol's "comeback". 
Funky neon colors have made their comeback, which I have been royally embracing.  Fashion is like an evolving, revolving door.  Styles keep making their way around, but always in an evolved, revolutionary manner.



NEON tranlated into Garage Gypsy Jewelry:




I couldn't resist.  I had to include my favorite Billy Idol music video!


[xo] the garage gypsy

No comments :

Post a Comment